How to Get More Listeners for your Radio Station
Most of us are avid radio listeners and dedicate certain minutes of our day to this joyful leisure pursuit. For most, it’s probably while they’re driving home or commuting to and from the work place. For others, it could be while they’re cooking in the kitchen after a long hard day’s work. The reason why so many people listen to the radio is because of the universal appeal of music, which tugs at our heart with every song being played out.
We listen to radio show hosts and think, “Wow, I wish I had that job. Just sitting there and playing tunes and talking to people seems like a piece of cake.” Well, that’s where we’re wrong. Just because it looks so effortless, doesn’t mean that it actually is. In fact, a lot of time and effort goes into making a particular radio station successful and building up a huge and loyal audience. You will need talent, skill, hard work, a way with people, and most of all, determination to succeed.
If you have an internet radio station and you want to learn how to build up a good audience worldwide, we have some tips and tricks for you. By using our tips, you can increase the number of people who listen to your radio show. We can help you to acquire, maintain, and grow your audience. Our strategies are unique and very popular because they work for different countries and languages. We have researched and analyzed different features of human connection, internet marketing, and basic as well as in-depth rules of communication from our experience as one of the leading radio streaming companies here in the US.
Tips for increasing your internet radio show audience
Once you create your own internet radio station, it does not end there. You will have to get listeners and make sure you keep them attracted to your station. This will help listeners to discover your station from among a host of competitors out there. Your commitment to user acquisition should also be directed at converting them to life-long patrons of your channel. Here are some basic tips you should keep in mind in order to achieve this goal:
- Keep it simple: This rule is the most important when it comes to the name of your radio show. It should be short, simple, and unique so that your listeners can easily identify and remember it. Make sure it is simple to pronounce, write and won’t be confused with an existing show. Adding a dash of ‘Its Different!’ will help in favorable brand recall for your station.
- Discover a niche: In the radio station business, it is imperative to find a target audience or a particular niche that you can take advantage of. For example, while having a rock radio station would be a popular decision, you will face tons of competition. It might be more strategic to create a radio station specifically targeted to a certain age group- like one for kids or teenagers to cater to their specific music taste.
- Make your schedule known: Let your listeners know about which DJs or which genre of music you are broadcasting and when. Advertise the schedule in a creative way and create buzz about special events in the weeks leading up to them.
- Provide various listening options: Different browsers and operating systems make it difficult if your online radio show is supported by only a particular browser. You will need to ensure that your radio show can be listened to via a number of popular media players like Quicktime, Winamp, Realplayer and Windows Media Player. Here at Primcast, our player is cross browser and cross platform compatible.
- Have frequent contact with listeners: The best way to truly capture the hearts of your audience is to engage with them. You should allow listeners to call in and request songs, to broadcast messages to special ones, to share funny stories or tweets. Basically, make them the stars of the show from time to time. Use MIXXX & Skype to take calls during your live broadcast. Chat with Primcast for step by step instructions.
- Find ways to connect with your demographic: Search for online and offline communities or forums which focus on the same topics that you broadcast on your show. Go to meetings or take part in discussions, promote the show as well as get valuable feedback on how to provide attractions that will help build up your listener base.
- Promote your show through various social media channels: Social media is a treasure trove when it comes to advertising and there are innumerable sites and apps like Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram, MySpace, and Ning which can vastly increase the number of people tuning in to your show. But you need to carefully pick what you post. Make sure you post engaging content, pictures, videos that will help people to connect with your radio show and not generic status updates and posts like “Make sure you tune into my show at so-and-so time.”
- Guest appearances: One sure fire way to bring in new listeners is to have guests on your radio show. No, they don’t have to be celebrities which you may not know how to contact, forget even pay for. They can be local rising stars and well-known people in the vicinity or the up and coming indie/pop/rock neighborhood college band. Just make sure to inject something new into your regular radio show schedule.
- Create enticing online descriptions: Write creative descriptions of your radio show and what you plan to focus on and share them via blog posts or little teaser videos. Use carefully designed keywords that Google will pick up on. All these little tips can help to increase the number of listeners.
- Make your website attractive: This is one of the most important strategies for gaining more listeners. You can use your website for publishing articles, blog posts, info graphics, opinion posts, listener messages etc. Just make it come alive so that people randomly browsing will be attracted enough to actually tune in to your show and give it a listen.
If you need professional help in getting your radio station to soar in popularity you can contact us. We will be glad to assist you in your growth aspirations.